Thursday, August 23, 2007

Okay.. where are we??




Its been fun but a little weird. Couplers are something else. Somehow I managed to produce a little runout off axis. No big deal. apparently the weirdness lies on bth sides so I rotated the short end in 90 degree increments so that the wobble evened out. I say wobble.. the two halves were joined and the assembly rolled along the floor. The alignment issues were apparent. Little of this and little of that and they were strait-ish.. enought to build with. Really I should not have these things but I do and respect the install. I found some Verus tubes from Henry James that have insane butt lengths. Something like 152mm. still though it was a pinch to nest the couplers into the butts. I laid the entire frame out in Autocad so I could easily see where they were. Then I changed the design a bit. Weary of needing to work around brake caliper clearances.. long or short.. I decided to use canti brakes so I could raise the crown for longer blades. Now I can fit 35's for off road situations. What all this means is that the DT was rotated up to 59 degrees rather than the standard 60. This is a 58ish cm frame so the HT looks a little squat. Its all good though.. FREEDOM!!!
couplers.. As can be seen, I trued and clamped the tubes and couplers to plumb in two planes. All good right? not so much. the tubes ended up being about a wall thickness out. so it goes... I had and have concerns brazing an assembled coupler. However the more I think about it, these are made for retro fit so therefore assembled. Did not have the nerve to try. Now I know.

No comments: